Each year carries its own important milestones and deadlines. It is important that students enter each grade prepared to meet their goals in order to better prepare themselves for post-secondary enrollment. Below is a list of some vital milestones that students should strive to reach. The Access Center is able to provide assistance with any questions you might have regarding the topics below:
- Challenge Yourself: Register for AP or Honors classes in core academic subjects, if possible. Post-secondary institutions look for students who are taking and doing well in rigorous courses.
- Plan Ahead: Review college requirements and ask your counselor to appropriately build your class schedule. Understand what is required to graduate high school as well as meet the college entry requirements.
- Get Involved: Volunteer with various in-school and community based organizations. Volunteer experience will help you to explore different career sectors as well as provide you with valuable learning experiences. Remember, more does not necessarily mean better; colleges like to see you find your passion and pursue it.
- Communicate: Talk with your counselor about your high school courses as well as your post-secondary plans. Make sure that they know your plan to better guide your high school course choices.
- Stay Organized: Start a binder of all your awards/accomplishments, volunteer work, internship experience, and certificates. Document the milestones needed to be reached to get where you plan on going.
- Explore: Take career interest quizzes and various electives to explore different career sectors of interest.
- Find Success: Work hard to achieve and maintain a high GPA.
- Utilize Resources: Visit the Mesa Counts on College Access Center to participate in workshops and meet with college advisors that can answer questions and help you with preparing for post-secondary enrollment.